The School of Agriculture and Forest Engineering has been a pioneer in its interest areas in Chile. It administers large land holdings, green houses, facilities to work with animals, computer labs, and cold chambers for fruits and vegetables. The School also has an experimental station in Curacaví, Chile to conduct research on vegetable crops, which is funded by international resources. The School publishes periodically the Agricultural Science and Research Journal, which is ISI indexed.
The new technological requirements of the growing national fruit and vegetable industry impelled the School of Engineering to undertake the challenge of encouraging research in these areas.
New laboratories were created and the links between the School and participants in the industry were strengthened. The Laboratory of Material Resistance was created in 1934, and The Institute for Material Studies was funded in 1938. The latter was turned nine years later into the Directorate for Scientific and Technological Research (DICTUC) of the University. This institution aims to develop high quality technology, and to incubate technology-based new enterprises.
The School of Engineering currently is conducting 111 Chilean government funded projects and 21 international projects.